iGigBook

iGigBook
Available on the iTunes App Store

Monday, July 9, 2012

A Reply To "Technology In Musical Education"

I had one disappointing/embarrassing experience in writing this blog over the past three years, which was a war of words with a developer regarding the feature of annotation in PDF music readers. The app in question was iGigBook, which has been a popular PDF music reader for gigging musicians. Regardless of my past interactions with the developer, I thought it would be important to mention that the latest version of iGigBook includes annotation. As I’ve stated repeatedly, my opinion is that annotation is an essential/required feature needed by a musician (whether a pro or a student). iGigBook has added that feature, and therefore joins the ranks of PDF Music Readers that have the core features that are needed by musicians (along with forScore, unrealBook, Deep Dish Designs GigBook, and the new Gig Easy app).
Original Post Here

I would have posted this comment to this blog but since comments aren't allowed, I'll post my comment here...

I don't think there was a war of words, just me disagreeing with you and setting the record straight about what you wrote so that people get an accurate picture.

I appreciate you mentioning that iGigBook has annotation, as they say, "any publicity is good publicity". I realize iGigBook isn't an app that you would find useful and also realize that no one app is going to be all things to all people. Having said that, there are features that are important to the musicians that use iGigBook on a daily basis, that are missing from all of the apps that you highly recommend. Contrary to what you say, iGigBook isn't joining the ranks of those apps, it stands alone in a class by itself, pushing the envelope of what a musician can do with an iPad and their PDF sheet music library.

I personally know a number of gigging pianists, that literally traveled with a suitcase full of sheet music books to their gigs, with no efficient way to locate 1 tune out of the thousands they may be requested to play at any given time. With iGigBook and an iPad a dream of theirs has been realized; instant access to their entire music library in seconds. I also know numerous sidemen, sax players, trumpet players, bassist, guitarist, etc, that also find iGigBook to be a dream come true because of the indexing, the transposing chord charts and the transposing books.

Keep in mind I'm not saying you should like iGigBook and use it, I just want readers to know that there are different realities and when they read your blog they should keep in mind that your view and recommendations are limited to what you use, what you know and how much gigging you do or do not do.

No comments:

Post a Comment